Legal Requirements

The following requirements are the responsibility of the landlord.

If we are managing the property we will ensure compliance with these requirements.

(Any costs which are incurred will be the responsibility of the landlord.)


Annual safety check: Under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 all gas appliances and flues in rented accommodation must be checked for safety within twelve months of being installed, and thereafter at least every twelve months by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
Maintenance: There is a duty to ensure that all gas appliances, flues and associated pipework are maintained in a safe condition at all times.
Records: Full records must be kept for at least two years of the inspections of each appliance and flue, of any defects found and of any remedial action taken.
Copies to tenants: A copy of the safety certificate issued by the engineer must be given to each new tenant before their tenancy commences, or to each existing tenant within twenty-eight days of the check being carried out.


Electrical installations in landlords properties must be inspected and tested by a person who is qualified and competent, at least every 5 years.
Landlords have a duty to provide a copy of the electrical safety report to their tenants, and to their local authority if requested.

Fire and Smoke Alarms

Your responsibilities are set out in the Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Regulations 2015, and they came into force on 1 October 2015.
You must install at least one fire alarm on every storey that is used for accommodation, and a carbon monoxide alarm in rooms in which solid fuel is used.
The landlord must test the alarms at the beginning of every tenancy. The government suggests that alarms should be checked monthly.
The monthly fire alarm tests can be conducted by either the tenant or the landlord, but it’s important that a log book is kept as a record of the dates of each check.
Make sure the furniture and furnishings they supply are fire safe
Provide fire alarms and extinguishers if the property is a large house in multiple occupancy

Houses in Multiple Occupancy

Landlord have extra legal responsibilities for houses in multiple occupation (HMO).
– proper fire safety measures are in place, including working smoke alarms
– annual gas safety checks are carried out
electrics are checked every 5 years
– the property is not overcrowded
– there are enough cooking and bathroom facilities for the number living there
– communal areas and shared facilities are clean and in good repair
– there are enough rubbish bins/bags

Housing Health
and Safety Rating

The housing health and safety rating system (HHSRS) is a risk-based evaluation tool to help local authorities identify and protect against potential risks and hazards to health and safety from any deficiencies identified in dwellings. It was introduced under the Housing Act 2004 and applies to residential properties in England and Wales.
This assessment method focuses on the hazards that are present in housing. Tackling these hazards will make housing healthier and safer to live in.
The assessment is carried out by an environmental health officer from the local council.
The council must take action if serious problems are found.

Tenancy Deposit Scheme

Tenancy Deposit Protection (TDP) schemes are companies approved by the government. They have the authority to govern tenancy deposits and oversee the process of deposit returns, deductions and disputes.
The deposit gives landlords a financial safety net in case the tenant causes damage to the property or steals/loses any of the landlord’s possessions. Deposits are typically equivalent to 4-6 weeks rent, but should be no more than two months’ rent.
If a landlord does take a deposit for an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement, as of 6th April 2007, the landlord MUST put the deposit in a government-backed tenancy deposit scheme.
In England and Wales deposits can be registered with:
Deposit Protection Service
Tenancy Deposit Scheme.

Disability Discrimination Act 2005

The Disability Discrimination Act 2005 made it easier for long leaseholders to obtain a landlord’s (freeholder’s) consent to carry out adaptations to the internal areas of let premises.

 MEES and EPCs – Important Changes from April 2018

On 1 April 2018, minimum energy efficiency standards (MEES) will come into force in England and Wales making it unlawful for landlords of private rented property – both commercial and residential – to grant new leases to tenants of properties with an energy performance certificate (EPC) rating of either ‘F’ or ‘G’, unless they have a valid exemption in place.

Some relevant links: website: Energy Performance Certificates for homes – Click here.
The Home Information Packs (No 2) Regulations 2007: Home Information Pack (No 2) Regulations 2007 – Click here. website: Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007 – Click here.
HCR Register website: HCR Register – Click here.

Please feel free to contact Eddie direct on 07929 859667, there’s no obligation – just happy to help.

The Charles Carter Difference


Our offices are situated in the centre of Tewkesbury and from there we cover the 3 counties of Worcestershire, Herefordshire and Gloucestershire. Our centrally located office means all your property needs are under one roof.

Charles Carter is not a estate agent we are 100% dedicated lettings and property management specialists. This ensures your rental property is our number one focus and priority at all times. We are fully compliant and insured to ensure that your property investment is being cared to the highest standard. As a independent specialist we offer bespoke services to ensure all your individual needs are met.

Charles Carter Lettings is built on customers service so quality of service is at the very heart of everything we do. All services are personally oversean by me, Eddie Carter (Company Director). I am always available directly when required. We have a self-imposed limit to the number of managed properties that we care for thus ensuring you are never just a number and that the team will personally know you, your property and your tenants.

Meet The Team


Managing Director


Lettings Manager


Administration Manager


Finance Manager