Let’s start with a couple of definitions:

MEES – Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard.
EPC – Energy Performance Certificate.

Since October 2008, landlords in England and Wales offering property for rent have been required by law to provide prospective tenants with an Energy Performance Certificate for their property. The certificate must be provided free either when or before any written information about the property is provided to prospective tenants or a viewing is conducted.

From 1st April 2018 MEES come into operation requiring landlords of all rented property in England and Wales to ensure that their properties reach an EPC of at least a rating of E before granting a new tenancy to a new or existing tenant.

These regulations will also be enforceable for all existing tenancies with effect from 1st April 2020. Exemptions are available but must be registered as such.

The above is just a brief overview of what can appear to be a confusing and complicated piece of legislation. For more detailed information, including explanations of exemptions and how to register them, I would recommend looking at these websites:

The Residential Landlords Association:


The government’s official information website Gov.uk:


This site includes a very useful downloadable PDF of guidance, specifically aimed at domestic landlords.

If you require further guidance please feel free to call me. I can also arrange for an EPC inspection to be carried out. Further details and cost on request.